Home Page
Summer Day Camps
Going Green
Pony Parties
Riding Lessons
Stallions
Equine Sales List
Tack for Sale
Purebred Arabian Horses
Half Arabian Horses
Pinto Arabian Horses
Crabbet/CMK Archive
Why Buy Crabbet?
Spotted Saddlehorses & TWH
Equine Health
Everything about Breeding
Congratulations!
A Tribute to the 4H of Geauga County
A Tribute to Hallelujah
Our Story
Horse Links
Losing Ground to Development
Land Use Issue in Ohio
Guest Book
Coloring Book
Story Books on horse breeds
WIW Farm Through the Seasons
The Baxter Black Corner
Site map
Diatom Graphics


Extinction by NAIS












































 

Windt im Wald Farm
Geauga County, Northeast Ohio
since 1995

THE NORWEGIAN FJORD HORSE

If you think this "horse" looks a bit primitive, you are correct. The Norwegian Fjord Horse is believed to have migrated to Norway after the last Ice Age. Ancient burial sites in Norway seem to indicate that Fjord Horses have been selectively bred for over 2000 years!

The drawing of the Fjord Horse shows the mane cut so short that it stands erect from the neck in a crescent shape. What is unique about the mane is that the center hair is dark while the outer hair is white. With its short haircut the Fjord Pony has a dark stripe down its neck. Although 10 % of Fjord Horses are red or yellow dun, grey or white, the other 90% are brown dun. Like the original Przewalski Horses of Asia, the Fjord has primitive zebra stripes on its legs and a black stripe from its forelock across its back and into its tail. Like the donkey, the donkey the Fjord may have dark stripes running horizontally over its withers.

The Fjord Horse has a gentle and tolerant temperament. Some people claim that the Fjord is easy to ride without any breaking. Its ears are small and alert, and its neck is thick and well-muscled. The Fjord is short-bodied with a deep chest. It ranges in size from 13.2 to 14.2 hands and weighs between 900 and 1200 pounds.

Diane Jones
Windt im Wald Farm

eXTReMe Tracker